Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mum's visit

My daughter, her son Ethan and
 my granddaughter.. Three beauties!


My little Grandmothers Flower Garden
on the right...
2 blocks from Mums quilt on the left.... tee hee

Wow... it is so nice to spend time with someone who has a like interest. My Mum is here for almost 3 weeks and this week has been a flurry of quilting talk.  Yesterday we sewed with some friends and had a lovely lunch and an awesome afternoon of chatter and camaraderie. This group of ladies only hand sew when we are together and yesterday I started mum off on her voyage through Grandma's flower garden. I am pretty sure she will be hooked before she leaves.

Of course she had a little laugh at me as I like to do things no one else in their right mind would do. Mum is making a quilt with half square triangles and I am making a quilt from the book Quilts from Grandmothers Garden (the one on the front cover). I get bored making half square triangles and would have tossed her quilt long ago and she can't imagine doing a quilt the size I am doing. It wasn't until I took a picture of them both that I realized.. she probably is right... I am probably crazy.


Today we are off to the quilt store and that will be an adventure for both of us. I have a list and I think she does too... we will see.

Last Thursday I went to a sew night with some friends and I made a little basket I found on http://diybaglover.blogspot.com/  I don't know where my head was that night. I thought it would be perfect for putting on mom's bed and putting a few towels and a face cloth in... Hahahahahaha!!!. The instructions called for 24 - 2" squares... you might think that would have been a clue! NOT!!!! I made the basket and it is about 8" long and maybe 3 or 4 " wide... just big enough for a facecloth and a bar of soap... not sure where my mind was! But it turned out beautifully.

Just a quick note about last weeks post.... One of my friends mentioned... "what if you are using bobbin thread" so I thought I should address that. If you are winding your bobbins with bobbin thread... wind slowly. I remember a friend of mine winding a bobbin full of bobbin thread on her plastic bobbin at full speed and she couldn't get the bobbin off the post once it was full. She had to unwind that bobbin by hand to get it off... I used to tell my kids... lessons we learn through pain we seldom need to learn again!!! I bet you that bobbin removal was painful! If I am using a lot of bobbin thread it is almost worth it to clean your machine after 1 or 2 bobbins... not the 5 bobbins I recommend for regular sewing thread. Hope that clarifies it for you.

And if you haven't tried English paper piecing you should. Take a look at Jaynette Huff's Quilts from Grandmothers Garden and some of her other books at... http://www.allbookstores.com/Jaynette-Huff/author





No comments: